The first thing I want to tell you is that, if you think you want to publish a blog, run right out and secure your blogname. I’d been thinking for a long time about having a blog named Book Spaces, where I could talk informally about
- the space I inhabit when I read a particular book, and different kinds of books
- the spaces I go to when I want to read a good book
- the marginal spaces on the page, that set off the words, and where I like to comment on my reading
- the sense of space and place created by typography (for example, my current inability to get the spacing right on this post will affect how you read it)
- the spaces of possibility represented by the pages still unread, or by a book not-quite-yet-opened
- the places where I find, and store, our books — especially favorite libraries and bookstores and bookshelves
- even the spaces (material, temporal, mental, even technological) I find in my busy life to write books and write about books. I’m a literature professor, though this blog is for personal reading and musing about reading. I’d call it “pleasure reading” except just about all my reading brings me some kind of pleasure.